Quantcast
Channel: Bath Chronicle Latest Trusted Stories Feed
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 4591

Plans for Bath's first casino move a step closer

$
0
0
The developers behind Bath's first casino have said they hope building work could start early next year with a view to open by the end of 2015. Deeley Freed, the firm behind the £14 million Saw Close scheme for a casino, hotel and two restaurants, has already submitted pre-planning papers to Bath and North East Somerset Council and is aiming to have a full planning application ready by July. If this all goes ahead as proposed then builders could be on site towards the start of 2014 and finished within a year. However, it would then be around another nine months for the premises licence to be granted and all the internal casino fitting to be completed. Deeley Freed director Andrew Maltby said he was pleased with the progress so far and said names had already been confirmed for the restaurants and hotel, although these could not yet be made public. He said: "It is going very well, although it is very complicated. "So far with the whole Saw Close scheme, we have finished phase one, which was the Bluecoat House development. "The second phase is for the casino, hotel and restaurants and that is moving ahead." Casino operator Global Gaming Ventures (GGV) has applied to B&NES Council to have its 12-month deadline, which came into place when the licence was awarded last August, extended for a further 18 months. Mr Maltby said this initial time limit was imposed to make sure everyone was serious about moving the scheme along as quickly as possible and needed pushing back to give time for the planning application to be dealt with and building work to commence. He said it was not an indication that the plans were in any trouble. That application is due to be discussed at a B&NES Council licensing committee meeting on Tuesday afternoon, which is likely to be held behind closed doors because of the confidential nature of the business matters on the agenda. The casino development is of huge financial significance to the local authority because the council is set to receive a £250,000 one-off payment, half to be paid now and half when it is complete. It will also receive a minimum £15,000 per month once the casino opens. B&NES has also spent almost £300,000 of its own money paying to run the initial competition when firms bid for the casino licence back in 2011/12. The terms of the agreement with GGV secures scores of jobs for local people, including 80 full-time casino jobs and 120 construction jobs.The full report due to go before B&NES Council's licensing committee next Tuesday

Plans for Bath's first casino move a step closer


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 4591

Trending Articles